Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 3lb 4oz, 4 1/2 month old Maltese female. She just…

Customer Question
I have a 3lb...

I have a 3lb 4oz, 4 1/2 month old Maltese female. She just swallowed, I couldn't get it off her, the tiny rubber piece off the ear piece of my ear bud. Can she pass this or should I bring her to the vet ER?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Harley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Harley?

No she's very healthy, smart, and well adjusted. She's fully vaccinated and taking to training well.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

Approximately how big was the piece that Harley swallowed?

Half the diameter of a dime and it was soft and pliable
Are you there?

OK, thanks. I suspect that if it's soft and pliable and half the size of a dime, it should be able to pass through the digestive tract without much trouble. However, you will need to watch her very closely for the next several days, to be sure that she is eating normally, and that there's no vomiting or abdominal discomfort.

If any problems arise, a veterinary examination and x-rays will likely be necessary to determine if a blockage has occurred.

Thank you! I will.

You're welcome - best wishes :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian