Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pit was diagnosed with acute gastritis on Friday. Her…

Customer Question
My pit bull was...

My pit bull was diagnosed with acute gastritis on Friday. Her blood work and abdominal xrays came back fine. She still isn't doing well. She does drink a little and I've only gotten her to eat a few bites. She now has blood in her urine. Is this normal?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the pit's name and age?

Pixie and she is 10 years old. No history of having an upset stomach.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pixie?

She is very weak but seems to be out of the severe pain she was in last week.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments did her vet start?

How much blood are you seeing (drops, spoonful, etc)?

Is she passing large or small volumes of urine? Any straining?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

ould she have eaten something harmful (ie drugs/medication, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s on 1-1/2 tabs twice a day of metronidazole (250 mcg)
We saw no blood until this am and it is more than just drops
She doesn’t strain to urinate but she was having difficulty on Friday
No tenderness on the belly when I press
Gums are moist and slightly paler but not as bad as before
We don’t know what caused her severe vomiting - she’s not a dog that eats everything and anything
She has been drinking small amounts of water and only a few bites of chicken and rice since this happened

Hello again,

Now we usually won't see blood in the urine alongside GI signs unless they have diarrhea (since it can contaminate the vagina and cause secondary bacterial infection). So we do need to tread with care here. It is possible to see an unrelated bladder infection but bladder stones, urine crystals, or bladder tumors would be a concern for the blood. As well, though hopefully less likely we can see it with clotting issues (ie if she has used up lots of platelets from another bleed --hopefully unlikely or if she had eaten rat bait or warfarin --which sound thankfully less likely) appear similarly.

So, given these considerations, if she were my patient, I'd want her reassessed +/- an ultrasound carried out to check her bladder for the above and just make sure there isn't anything more in her GI behind that gastritis. If infection is a worry, then a urine sample can be taken sterily from the bladder to check for that. And at the same time, Id suggest speaking to her vet about an appetite stimulant and an oral anti-nausea treatment for you to continue at home so we can give her a push to eat. Or if there is any concern of stomach ulcers here with that gastritis, gastroprotectants may also be beneficial.

Any delay and for her nausea/poor appetite we can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid),or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any other medications you didn’t mention. After you can tempt with favorites or a a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or we could even try syringe feeding watered down canned puppy food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise. But again we need to monitor this blood as its not likely to be directly related to the gastritis and the above would be concerns here for Pixie.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She is much better
Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that she is feeling better. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian