Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs neck is swollen and he gags when he eats. he still…

Customer Question
My dogs neck is...

My dogs neck is swollen and he gags when he eats . he still has an appetite though

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is 10 years old he is a beagle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucky?

He is still enjoying going for walks he doesnt seem as energetic as he would normally be.i think he has been like this for about a month.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you clarify "swollen" for me, please? Are you seeing/feeling swollen lymph nodes which are found at the angles of his jaws and under the lower jaw?

im not sure its the size of a golf ball more towards his left side.i only noticed how large the lump was a few days ago he stopped eating his dry dogfood and i noticed when i fed him normal food he gags when he eats.The lump isnt on his chest its defintely his neck and it doesnt hurt him when i touch it

Thank you for the additional information. Don't hesitate to have that lump needle aspirated and the aspirate examined microscopically by his vet who may send the aspirate to his pathologist for review. It appears to be obstructing Lucky's esophagus or, at least, interrupting normal swallowing. Neoplasia is most likely and lymphoma in lymph nodes in that area should be an important consideration in a 10 year old. Cysts and benign tumors are also considerations. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
thanks for your reply, lucky had a blood test that didnt show any changes in thyroid function, kidneys etc.the vet has given us antiinflammatries and painkillers and he has picked up a bit .she said its probable cancer so we are taking him for a ct scan on tuesday to see if its spread to other parts in his body.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.