Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What can I give my dog for constipation. He has not had a…

Customer Question
What can I give...

What can I give my dog for constipation. He has not had a bowel movement in 2 days. I have not been walking him because of the weather and salt on the street

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

There is no wound

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Peanuts

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peanuts?

They are eating their food. Should I cut out the cheese treats

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now provided that he isn't off his food (since little in will mean little out), hasn't eaten anything that could cause a physical blockage preventing feces from passing, and has no belly pain (since that would raise concerns of serious issue or severe impaction that should be evaluated by your family vet urgently) then there are some home treatments you can try to promote his passing feces.

Now the cheese isn't likely to cause any issue here, so you could give a bit in moderation or hold off for the moment. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** options, you can start by offering some milk. We do find that cow’s milk can be helpful at getting things moving along with mild constipation. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum.

Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity.

Furthermore, if this is a common issue for him, then you can mix some canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease him eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into him (as canned food is 35% water). I would also advise encouraging him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure that he has fresh water and you can even offer low salt chicken broth if he won’t drink.

While you are doing this, I would advise that you monitor Peanuts's fecal and urinary output (just to make sure his urination isn't the issue). If you try the above but are not seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your lad begins to vomit, show belly pain, or worsens, then they should be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation) to clear them out.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian