Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She won't eat and she threw up 3 puddles of yellow foam

Customer Question
She won't eat and...

She won't eat and she threw up 3 puddles of yellow foam which I assume is bile from an empty stomache, she won't even eat something I try to give her off my plate and I can hear her stomache rumbling.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Just her usual food

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she's a year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stranger?

I adopted her from the shelter about a week ago

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she has these signs?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she's had these signs since this morning i havn't seen her drink anything but I've tried to get her too, i keep her in my line of sight when i take her out so i don't think she ate anything harmful. her gums are a very pale pink and no discomfort on her belly when i press on it. it felt normal

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see she isn't likely to have eaten something harmful but if those gums are very pale (especially if they are paler then usual for her), we need to be careful here. This is because paling can be a sign of anemia, internal bleeding (from stomach ulcers or gut damage from something eaten), or compromised GI circulation (something we see with gut blockages). So, if she is very pale we are best having her seen now to be safe. Though if she isn't overly pale, then bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion are also considerations here for Stranger.

With this all in mind or if there is any delay, we can try some home supportive care for her To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for Stranger, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Still if her gums are very pale (you are welcome to post a photo here using the paperclip icon for me to check), we are best having her seen at this point. Otherwise, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian