Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Shivering, it seems when he exhales. He didn't sleep through…

Customer Question
Shivering, it seems when...

Shivering, it seems when he exhales. He didn't sleep through the night as usual and hads had some diarrhea lately.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Tommy. Age 19 mos. He's a lab-pit mix.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tommy?

19 mos.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tommy?

Stool sample a few days agonwas negative

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

What color is the diarrhea? Any blood?

What did they test for in the stool sample? Just parasites?

What treatments have been used?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Shivering was first noticed about an hour ago. His stomach feels ok. Gums are ok but maybe slightly dry. Stool sample was for parasites. He sometimes eats socks, but they've always either passed through or been vomitedd back up. I did not notice any blood in his stool.

Hello again,

First, I would note that shivering usually isn't a specific sign of disease but instead one we see with fever or when dogs feel generally unwell. So, this is just likely a side effect to this situation. And while its good that they have ruled out parasites, we still would be wary of a bacterial, protozoal, or viral infection. Furthermore, while we do sometimes see them vomit up socks, there is always the risk of partial blockage in the intestines which could certainly appear as diarrhea and make him feel unwell.

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle Tommy if we can do so. To start, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion. And the fiber will help push anything caught in the gut through at the same time. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk if Tommy has dry gums, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, if he is very loose, you can try a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we can use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)). Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics already added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us. Therefore, we’d want to be careful here. Provided his vet doesn't suspect a blockage and his belly is comfortable, we can use the above supportive care. Though if we see these signs linger despite the above then we'd want him reassessed and those other agents checked for to make sure we target treatment to nip this in the bud.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian