Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Gave my dog a little pepto for loose stool I know there is a…

Customer Question
Gave my dog a...

Gave my dog a little pepto for loose stool I know there is a better choice from the pharmacy than pepto but can't remember the name of it. No vet available till tuesday

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Booker 5yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Booker?

5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Booker?

Just developing a loose stool and I don't want it to get worse otherwise healthy only 5-6 pounds

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now with regards ***** ***** question, we tend to fine OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) to be a better choice for loose stool in dogs. Alternatively, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which are OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of probiotics already added in. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI.

As well, as you use that with Booker, you could also consider putting him onto an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset/diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) can also be added to these meals to firm stools and support digestion. And if you haven't dont so already, do make sure to worm him so we can exclude parasites. And if he settles, we are happy. Though of course, if his signs linger, then we'd want his local vet to test a stool sample so we can check for infectious concerns (bacteria, viruses, protozoa, etc) and treat for those if needed.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian