Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a half a proin 50 mg tablet that was not for her.

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a half a proin 50 mg tablet that was not for her. I didn’t think it would be a big deal as she’s done things like this before. I came home and there’s piles of spit and some vomit all over the house. She won’t eat anything but she will drink water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

I don’t know what to do. I don’t really have the funds to go to the hospital. I just lost my other dog to IMHA from vaccinosis. My dog who is sick now also had the same vaccines at the same time

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Her name is ***** ***** she’s almost 11. She’s a toy jack russel Australian Shepherd mix and weighs about 16lbs

1/1/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How many hours ago did she eat this?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any diarrhea?

Hi
No diarrhea, her gums are pink and moist. She ate it around 8:30. I just found some famotidine 10mg. It’s an acid reducer I had for my other girl. Can I give her that?
She is keeping water down but she is spitting up some foamy spit

Hello again,

Now the dose she has had is quite a large one but thankfully at her size it should only cause the GI upset we are seeing +/- only mildly affect her blood pressure and heart. Therefore, we'd want to address the symptoms at this stage. If she is 16lbs, we can use the Famotidine but her dose would be 8mg. So, you can give her 3/4ths of the tablet and do so every 12 hours. After she is more settled, we can then follow that with small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed. And usually that is all we need to do for 24 hours in these situations.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok I was able to get the famotidine down. She seems like she’s breathing heavy. Her mouth is closed but she’s breathing heavy. Is this normal with stomach upset and discomfort?? Her nose is still cold and she’s alert and following me all over

It certainly can be as increased respiratory rates are often see with stress, nausea, and discomfort. So, as long as her gums are pink (a sign of good oxygenation), we can monitor this and give the Famotidine a chance to work. But if it persists or she seems to struggle to breathe, then we'd want to have her checked to make sure there is nothing more causing her bother.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Hi
I ended up taking her to the hospital about an hour after our conversation. She was in heart failure. They were great and able to treat her. She’s home now and doing pretty good

Good evening,

I am glad to hear that she was seen and that they are treating her, especially as none of the reported signs she had suggested a heart issue. So, its good it was checked for and that they could start treatment for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian