Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Pepe has a stomach ache in the lower belly area. Drinking…

Pepe has a stomach...

Pepe has a stomach ache in the lower belly area. Drinking lots of water and crying out in pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

6 year old cockapoo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?

Yes my dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the Cockapoo's name?

Pepe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pepe?

I’ve been gone and he got out. I had old chicken in the trash. Guessing he may have gotten into it

1/1/2018
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting? Or diarrhea?

Can he keep the water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Was there bones in the chicken?

He has been vomiting up froth. No other signs. The chicken had bones

Hello again,

Now with a possible chicken bone ingestion, we do need to be careful as that can certainly cause the signs we are seeing. First, if he is very sore then we'd want him seen urgently. Otherwise, if the discomfort is mild and as chicken bones do soften in the stomach acid some dogs will pass these within 48 hours. Of course, if we aren't sure he ate the bones, we'd also have to consider these signs being related to bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, or dietary indiscretion.

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle Pepe's stomach. To start, you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, we do need to be careful here if he has discomfort. If severe, we'd want him seen now to ensure the bones don't have a sharp edge that is damaging the gut. But if that is less likely or we have a delay in having him seen, then we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Of course, any worsening of pain, paling gums, vomiting brown material or blood, or black stools (digested blood), then we'd want him checked for a blockage +/- treated with gut safe pain relief and injectable anti-vomiting medication to get him comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Ok. Thank you

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work on the holidays. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian