Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihuahua ate some turkey meat and now is just laying…

Customer Question
My chihuahua ate some...

My chihuahua ate some turkey meat and now is just laying there and coughing every 15 minutes and sounds like he’s going to get sick. He’s not getting worse but this has been going on for a few hours now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is***** is almost 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Hello?

No he has no health problems since he was a puppy

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

How is he just now?

Any vomiting?

Was there any bone material in the turkey meat?

He is just laying down and he coughs and weazes a few times and sometimes sounds like he is going to vomit. But hasn’t. No bone material. Just the white meat from the turkey. He isn’t gettting worse. Just seems to want to lay down and rest and starts sleeping then wakes up and making weird noises like he’s having problems breathing. Then he will cough and gag a couple times and then he’s back to sleeping or just laying there.

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see there was no bone, though given his signs it does sound like he has some throat inflammation +/- a mild gastritis/pancreatitis from eating the turkey meat. With these in mind, we can start some supportive care to help reduce his signs. To start, we can tackle the nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Alternatively, we could use a liquid antacid (ie Milk of Magnesia - 0.5tsp every 12 hours) as that will soothe the stomach but also coat the throat to help with the coughing. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards, we'd want to use a soft and easily digestible diet for a few days. Examples we can use include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns but we'd want to use the above to soothe the upper and lower GI to see if we can nip this in the bud. Of course, if his signs were to linger over 24 hours; then we'd want to have him checked by his local vet as we may just need to use a short course of dog safe anti-inflammatories or gastroprotectant to get this completely settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Thank you very much. I don’t have access to anything that you recommended right now as it is 3am. I will keep an eye on him and if anything worsens I will rush him to the emergency. Thank you ��

You are very welcome, my dear.

That is fine, just rest his stomach overnight and monitor until you can obtain those if needed.

Have a peaceful evening

Dr. B.

************************************

Please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work on the holidays. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.