Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I am taking care of an 18-19 yr old dog in poor health. He…

Customer Question
I am taking care...

I am taking care of an 18-19 yr old dog in poor health. He has very weak back legs and walks in a circle before getting himself walking straighter. He is a Husky mix and is very thin. I think he is very uncomfortable and needs something for pain. He weighs about 40 lbs. Can I give him aspirin?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds but toe nails are very bad I don't know if he will let me trim them

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Ruger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ruger?

He has had a diet of mostly dry cat food the last 5-6 years. I think he also has a bad tooth maybe more than one

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Ruger is uncomfortable, however, I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. As far as over the counter " human " pain relief meds go you do have one option { And only one } reasonably safe option, this being aspirin. This drug is sometimes prescribed for dogs for pain relief and is regarded as safe as compared to the vast majority of the other over the counter human pain killers / anti-inflammatory meds. Many people use plain aspirin in the dog without a problem because it will normally only be used for a few days so any side effects would be very unlikely. But avoid enteric-coated aspirin as the coating can decrease the absorption of aspirin from the intestines in dogs.

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications: LINK

3. Be aware though that there are prescription drugs available which your vet can supply which could well be better for your dog, so really you should regard aspirin as a very short-term solution to tide Ruger over until you can get him to your local vet.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Ruger is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning pain relief ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott