Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog (Shihpoo, age 13), eyes have turned a whitish blue…

Customer Question
My dog (Shihpoo, age...

My dog (Shihpoo, age 13), eyes have turned a whitish blue this evening.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My dog's eyes have turned a whitish blue this evening. She is 13 and is a shihpoo. She weighs about 17 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't seem to be in pain but her eyes have turned white and her the whites of her eyes are red.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?

Sugar.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Is it the inside of the eye or clear cover over the eye that has turned white/blue?

Can you take a photo for me to assess this? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She won't let me get a photo. It looks like the clear covering over her eye. The white of her eye is all red as well.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't get a good photo. It looks like the outer covering of the eye is all white (cloudy). The white of her eye is all red.

Hello again,

That is a shame she isn't being cooperative, as I am quite concerned about what you have described. If it is the clear covering that is changing color that is a sign of corneal edema/inflammation. Often it is related to ulceration and trauma to the eye. Though if the redness is severe or if her eyes look to be bulging then we cannot exclude an underlying glaucoma (an eye emergency). Therefore, as eyes are very delicate, it would be ideal to have Sugar seen urgently. Her vet can check the pressures in her eyes but also stain the eyes to look for ulcers/damage. If present, treatment can be started to address these and dog safe pain relief (ie Metacam, Onsior, Rimadyl, etc) given to keep her comfortable. Any delay and we can at least try flushing her eyes (to remove bacteria and irritants) with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. But again what you have described sounds like corneal edema but to see it in both so suddenly with redness does make me concerned we may have a more urgent issue afoot that we need to address for her.

Just in case you need a local ER vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian