Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I am watching my neighbor's dog while they are off island…

Customer Question
Hello I am watching...

Hello I am watching my neighbor's dog while they are off island and she is petified of the fire work , I know they gave her valium in the past but all i have is xanax , is it safe to give her and what dosage

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She is panting , following me everywhere and badly shaking

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Honey 10y

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She is taking Meloxidyl and denamarin

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Xanax { Alprazolam } is a human drug sometimes prescribed on an extra label basis by some vets and is used as a sedative for anxiety in dogs at a dose rate of around 0.03 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally. It is generally thought to be a safe drug in the dog.

2. Xanax should be safe when used in combination with both Meloxidyl and Denamarin, this should pose no particular problem.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much for your reply , just gave her 0.5 mg of xanax and hoping for the best ...

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Honey is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of Xanax ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian