Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a small dog about 13 years old and yesterday she had…

Customer Question
I have a small...

I have a small dog about 13 years old and yesterday she had a real bad seizure and when I covered her eyes and held her she came out of it slowly. She new seems real confused, acts like she can't see real good, and wonders aimlessly around the house. Her back legs seem week and she has a hard time with balance now .. we don't have the money for testing and scans , can you Help us understand what might be happening

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Tootsie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tootsie?

Her sister of the same age has gone blind and deaf but gets along fine

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but I wanted to touch base with you about Tootsie.

At her age, these signs are most often related to brain lesions (bleeds, swellings, tumors, infections) or can be secondary to organ dysfunction (liver, kidney, etc). As well, while her wobbliness will also be due to the seizure, at her age it may be particularly worse for her if she has underlying arthritis.

With this all in mind, while I appreciate funds are limited, I'd note that it'd be ideal to just have the local vet perform a neurological examination and basic geriatric blood panel. This can determine if there are organ issues (which can be managed) and if that is clear then your vet could just trial her on anti-seizure medication +/- anti-inflammatories (which will help with associated brain inflammation and also with her joints). Of course, we wouldn't be able to confirm a tumor in the brain without an MRI but often just treating to see if we can reduce their signs can be just as effective in these situations.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**