Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog is refusing to drink water. My dog is eating but will…

Customer Question
Dog is refusing to...

Dog is refusing to drink water

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

My dog is eating but will not drink water.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Milo 2 years. Chocolate lab 71 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Milo?

He is currently taking Flagyl for diarrhea. He is on day 5. Milo is on a special diet of hydrolyzed protein

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been refusing water?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

He has been declining water for x 3 days
No gagging, vomiting, drooling
He licked his lips a few time tonight
Unable to assess gums. Difficult time telling light vs dark at baseline
No tenderness on belly
Do not think he ate anything harmful

Hello again,

Now to see refusal to drink despite eating, our main concern would be a low grade nausea (even without vomiting). And if Milo is on Flagyl that may be our culprit (as nausea is a common side effect). Therefore, with this in mind, we'd want to first see if we can allay the nausea. To do so, you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned. After, we'd want to offer water again but also try lactose free milk or low salt broth (you can choose the meat type depending on what he tolerates). As well, you can offer canned food or add water to any kibble you feed to just sneak some fluids in as we try to get him settled. And if he does, we are happy. Though if this lingers, we may need to give him a 24 hour break from the Flagyl to see if we can settle him (and possibly have his vet change antibiotics if we cannot do so).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian