Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My son has a female Shar Pei who is incontinent for the past…

Customer Question
My son has a...

My son has a female Shar Pei who is incontinent for the past two years. She does not aware that she is urinating, often lying in her own urine. Can you tell me what is the underlying problem and what can be done about her condition, She is 8-9 years old. Otherwise she is in good health.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Hippo(?) Not sure if that is a shortened name but that is what my son calls her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

None that I am aware of. Eats well, drinks plenty of water and still has an acute sense of smell

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Hippo.

I'm sorry to hear that Hippo has become incontinent.

Has she been spayed?

Just need to know what the problem is and how I can treat it if possible.

Unfortunately as spayed female dogs age, the lack of estrogen causes them to lose sphincter tone an urine leakage.

This lack of tone, can also predispose them to urinary tract infections as bacteria can travel up into the bladder.

I recommend having Hope evaluated by her veterinarian to have her urine tested. If she is free of infection, her veterinarian can recommend medication to help improve her sphincter tone.

Hi, it's Dr Denise. Just checking in.

Do you have any additional questions that I can address for you?

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800