Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Diagnosed with pancreatitis on meds still losing weight. Now…

Customer Question
Diagnosed with pancreatitis on...

Diagnosed with pancreatitis on meds still losing weight. Now diarrhea with back leg weakness

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Otis 8 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Otis?

Has been to vet 3 times. Feeding puree of turkey and yogurt with pedialyte

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

What tests has your done?

What treatments is he on?

How is Otis's appetite?

What does the diarrhea look like?

Did the weight loss start before or after the diarrhea?

Any vomiting?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He had blood work done and xrays which is how we knew it was pancreatitis. He was hospitalized for 3 days with iv. Was given meds for nausea, antibiotic, and antacid. Went back to vet again because there was no change and gave us 3 more meds for same things. He finished second round of meds. He will not eat and we have been feeding him with syringe. He will drink water. He was vomiting but not since we puree the food and feed him small amounts throughout the day. Weight loss was after diarrhea. It is very watery with specks of red in some of it. I am adduming it is blood.

Good evening,

My apologies I could not get back to you sooner (as I am sure you can appreciate, my own patients keep me very busy during the week). Anyway, I am concerned that he isn't responding to their treatment but when you say his second round was more medication for the same things, I do hope you mean stronger options then what was used before (else that would be a base to cover). Otherwise, I would suggest having his local vet start an appetite stimulant.

Otherwise, as I am sure you are aware we are in a catch 22 with feeding him. Pancreatitis patients needs to be on low fat diets and dogs loosing weight need to be on calorie rich diets (often these have a lot of fat too). So, we are limited with how we can feed him. Though if you haven't tried already, do use a low fat balanced diet (ie Royal Canin Sensitivity or Gastrointestinal low fat or Hills I/D) just as those are geared for pancreatitis patients but have more fat/calories in them then home made diets will. Or there are liquid diets (ie Clinicare) that could also bridge that need without flaring up his pancreatitis. Else we may really want to think about a temporary feeding tube to just get nutrition into him as we fight this all for him.

As well, we need to halt that diarrhea. Since that often isn't a feature of pancreatitis, you may wish his vet tests a stool sample so we can exclude (or focus) on any opportunistic infections. Else in the meantime, we can try adding fiber (ie canned pumpkin) and OTC probiotics (ie Benebac, Fortiflora) to firm those loose stools quicker and support digestion. If he is very loose, OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)) would be another option. Or Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. And we'd hope if we can get that soothed, the colon won't be as inflamed (the blood source) and we'll increase his guts chance of absorbing nutrients to get weight back onto him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian