Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has thrown up a few times Over the past few days. Not…

Customer Question
My dog has thrown...

My dog has thrown up a few times Over the past few days.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I can think of.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Mickey 11 and a half.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mickey?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- What is the vomit?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any other symptoms?

1 - it is kinda yellow/foamy bile. The one tonite had a little bit of food in it.
2 - Was diagnosed with Lyme disease a number of years ago. Had antibiotics and no issues. Has allergies.
3 - 22.5 lbs
4 - no. Not lethargic. Been eating/drinking normally. Going to the bathroom normally. Just has thrown up three times in the last four/five days.
Did you get my response?
Hi. My expert never got back to me. Can someone else pleas help me here. I got a request to call him and I am not in a place to talk. After refusing the phone call, I never heard back. Not sure if it was a system error or something? Thanks!
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

With regards ***** ***** history you have provided about Mickey, this does raise a few concerns. Specifically, we can see vomiting like this with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa, dietary indiscretion, or in older dogs it can be secondary to systemic issues (ie kidney or liver disease, IBD, cancer, etc). Therefore, if this has been going on for days, we do want to be proactive here.

With this in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle him. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (otherwise we’d want to rest the stomach for a few hours), you can try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, give it 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag for us to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can try giving small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, we usually feed this until they settle and then wean slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk with how long Mickey has been vomiting, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren’t sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). Though any of these signs and that’d be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise a few concerns for us. Therefore, we’d want to start the above to try to settle this for him. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, check for fever, check bloods to make sure his organs are working prooerly, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister infections present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get him settled and back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.