Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What makes a dog chew everything. He chews the ears off his…

Customer Question
What makes a dog...

What makes a dog chew everything. He chews the ears off his toys and the square corner of his cage bed. He is three years old and a pom. He loves playing with any toys but seems to chew when he is tired, sleepy or not getting my full attention.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

He is hyper, very sweet. His name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Prince?

No, I purchased him from my veterinarian's friend, about three months ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. Welcome to JustAnswer! I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Prince.

Chewing and destroying toys is a very natural behavior for dogs. The drive to chew and shred is ingrained in them from their ancestry as wild dogs.

For many pet dogs chewing/shredding is a way let out their extra energy or pass the time while board. It is also a form of play.

I recommend making sure that your dog is supervised when chewing on toys so that he does not ingest any of the material.

There is an entire line of toys made to encourage dogs to play and chew in a healthy way. You can find these online by searching for "Busy Buddy" toys.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service. I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

If you’d like to request me in the future for your pet-related questions, you can contact me at this page: https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drdenise/?rpt=3800

Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Dog Veterinarian