Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a foxterra dog named Pedro he is 14 years old and…

Customer Question
I have a foxterra...

I have a foxterra dog named Pedro he is 14 years old and firstly I must mention iv taken his to our local vet the same vet for his whole 14 years his been given various tables and spray ( they all work for a very short time) this itching is like eczema and is cause by our extreme hot weather. My question is can I use a human cream on him I would do anything for my little man Pedro but this is so costly and I know it’s getting harder and hardened please help

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Pedro

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pedro?

No his has a very good health record we are due for his yearly needle in 2 weeks time maybe 1 kg over weight

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but wanted to touch base with you.

With regards ***** ***** care, you can use OTC hydrocortisone cream provided you can keep him from licking the area (either using an ecollar or covering the skin with a tshirt/boxer shorts). Furthermore, it can be beneficial to bathe these dogs with an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based) to soothe the skin. And if you aren't currently, you could try an OTC antihistamine at the same time. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2mg pound pound of weight every 8-12 hours) or Cetirizine (2mg per pound ever y 12 hours). We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). Of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And hopefully we can just keep Pedro comfortable.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

My dog is doing good I bought some cream from our local chemist it has oatmeal in and gives him so much relief thanks
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian