Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 17 lb. Cavalier Spaniel. She is on Metronidazol,

Customer Question
I have a 17...

I have a 17 lb. Cavalier King Spaniel. She is on Metronidazol, 125 mg twice a day. She had her morning dose, and I just realized that I failed to split the 250 mg pill - thus giving her 250 mg tonight, total for the day of 375 mg. Any danger??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the spaniel?

Colitis diagnosed yesterday. She had bloody stools, her vet made the diagnosis after in-person visit. The med was prescribed as a result of that visit.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the spaniel?

No Great, thanks

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
1/1/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

While Metronidazole overdoses can cause neurological signs, including tremors, seizures, and incoordination, I would not usually expect such a minor overdose as this one, to cause serious problems. I would definitely keep a close watch on her, but I do not expect that you're likely to see any problems that will require veterinary care.

Of course, if you DO see any of the neurological signs I mentioned above, then of course I would recommend a veterinary examination so that medications can be administered to manage the symptoms.

Understood. Thanks for your help and advice. We'll keep a close eye on her. After how many hours would you think that we can consider her "OK"?

I'd say 8 hours after receiving the 250mg, is probably enough time to consider her OK. I think it would be unlikely for her to develop issues after that time.

Thanks very much, and Happy New Year!

Glad to help - Happy New Year to you too!

One more question - any problem with letting her go to sleep?

No. no problem.

Again, many thanks.

You're very welcome!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian