Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 25lbs and just ingested a meatball containing

Customer Question
My dog is 25lbs...

My dog is 25lbs and just ingested a meatball containing garlic, onions, and spicy peppers

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if 25lbs will be able to digest that. How old is 25lbs?

Her name is ***** ***** she is almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Daisy?

She ingested a meatball and we need to know if we need to induce vomiting the meatball was small and contained beef, garlic, onion, and spicy peppers

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

HI, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

While onions and garlic can cause problems for dogs in large quantities, the amounts found in the meatball would not be likely to cause serious issues.

Now, there's always the concern about digestive upset, when a dog eats something it shouldn't - so Daisy might have diarrhea, or mild vomiting, but I would expect both of these issues to resolve in less than 24 hours. If any issues persist, then veterinary attention might be needed, but I suspect that it won't really be too big of an issue for Daisy.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Drew