Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 year old golden retriever Bella has had stomach Issues…

Hi, my 9 year old...
Hi, my 9 year old golden retriever Bella has had stomach
Issues for the last year or so, has after 7 years of no gas
I mean not a single fart that we ever smelled and she sleeps in our bed
And she often eats weeds etc to vomit, she has a cancerous tumor on her Elbow
Which we had removed a year and a half ago and it grew back but she
Is very happy and in very good shape,170 lbs. and no table food, Blue buffalo
She is very energetic and playful like a puppy,she is up to date at her vet
They never gave much feedback on this probably because I never pushed
To much so what do think? Thank you in advance for any help, Jeff
12/31/2017
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Hi Dr. Kara
Thank you, ***** ***** time I’m busy getting ready for New Years

I understand that you are concerned with the amount of gas that your pup Bella produces now, when previously she was not a gassy dog.

The amount of gas a dog produces is variable but is influenced by what they eat as well as their ability to metabolize the food that they eat, and the metabolic wastes that their body produces. Metabolic wastes can be influenced by organ disease, gastrointestinal parasites, as well as the bacteria population living in their gastrointestinal tract.

Is she having other symptoms such as loose stools, vomiting, poor appetite, or is she eating or getting into something she should not have (cat litter box, garbage)?

Any changes in weight, increase in water consumption, or lethargy?

You mention that she is eating more plant material. Increased fiber from plant material can definitely cause more gas. The fact that she is eating more plant material and vomiting is worrisome. Whatever is contributing to her nausea may also be contributing to increased gas production.

Her change in plant material eating and subsequent changes in gut bacteria may be entirely to blame for her increase in gas.

Gas is often secondary to poor quality fiber or a protein food allergy.

You can try adding probiotics like Fortiflora, Proviable, or Benebac to re-establish normal gut bacteria levels and see how she comes along.

I also highly recommend submitting a fresh stool sample to her veterinarian to be sent out to the laboratory to check for unusual parasites and atypical bacteria.

The level of concern will depend upon what other symptoms she is displaying, the consistency of her stools, and the color of her stool (I would be more worried if her stools were black and tarry) as to how concerned we need to be and whether this change persists.

I would mention her increased foul gas to her veterinarian, and I would recommend checking her organ function, particularly for liver disease and pancreatic function, especially if she is developing other symptoms (loose stools, poor appetite, weight loose or being very thin despite eating well).

I understand that you were hoping for an easy answer.

But truly there is a lot that can change digestion and the bacteria in the gut, so there may not be an easy fix.

The foods that you are feeding may be very good, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are the right one/ones for her at this stage of her life.

Is she a pup that seems to gobble her food? Some dogs that gobble their food may swallow a lot of air, and that can make things worse. Perhaps a bowl designed to slow eating and raised to shoulder height could be helpful if that is the case for her. See this link for some examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+bowl+to+slow+eating&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwicg96bj67YAhUI_4MKHQZ7AuQQsAQIjgI&biw=1387&bih=713

I would definitely try a probiotic and try to decrease her swallowing air and see how that works. I would also check a stool sample for atypical bacteria and parasites.

The next step would be diagnostic testing to check organ function. Liver disease, food allergies or primary pancreatic or intestinal disease can change digestion and cause horrible gas.

Please let

Hi Jeffrey,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Hi Dr. Kara , thank you for your help, I have been giving her “NatureVet digestive enzymes plus pre & probiotic “ soft chews
Twice a day with her food for about 3 weeks which helped a little but she still for some reason wants to eat plant leaves, grass even the Christmas tree needles.her bowels were a bit loose and the digestive enzymes helped that a bit too.She sometimes doesn’t want to eat and will skip a feeding too.
Thank you again for your time,
Jeff

Thank you for the update on Bella.

Dogs will often lick or eat unusual things like plant material when they are feeling nauseous or have gastroesophageal reflux to try and settle their stomachs. Since she has had a change in appetite and is experiencing increased amounts of gas production along with her eating plant material I feel that she is likely nauseous.
Metabolic diseases that cause stomach upset like kidney or liver disease, hyperlipidemia, or pancreatitis can cause changes in digestion and nausea. Anemia can also lead to pica or eating or unusual or non food items. I do recommend that she see her veterinarian for an examination and some blood tests to make sure there are no health problems behind this behavior.

This may be as simple as a food allergy, or inflammatory bowel disease, or it may be indicative of early organ failure or cancer.

It is definitely time for diagnostic testing.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian