Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 18 pound pug mix has both food and environmental

Customer Question
My 18 pound pug...

My 18 pound pug mix has both food and environmental allergies. Which manifest in a constant itching and licking and she ends up with terrible skin infections. Despite that is is always on antihistamines she is having a bad episode now. I want to order her an antibiotic but I also want to be sure that I am choosing the right one. What do you recommend?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the pug can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the pug's name?

Kraken

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Kraken?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Sara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Sara
Dr. Sara, Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Sara. I can help you with what antibiotic to order but do you have access to some?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are websites that sell antibiotics for dogs that I am looking at.

Yes, there are, but you may need a prescription signed by your vet. If you are planning on waiting until Tuesday, that is fine. Or we could do an antibacterial shampoo in the meantime. What does Kraken weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was the first thing in the original message. How does this work, are you going to send a prescription into the website that sells the antibiotics? I have medicated shampoo, I only need an oral antibiotic.

We are not able to prescribe antibiotics, I am sorry. That cannot be done without a client/patient/Dr. realationship. This site if for advice. I am sorry if there was a misunderstanding. You would have to contact your vet for an oral antibiotic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
wow, feeling ripped off. I just wanted advice what antibiotic is best. you didn't advice anything, just solicited

A first choice antibiotic for skin would be Cephalexin. I can give you a dose if you would like. What does Kraken weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you paid by the message? The very first part of my original message gives her weight. How are you going to give the dose?.

I am paid by the question if you are satisfied. In this situation, I think there was some misinformation about what we can do on this site. I apologize, I see that now. She can have a 250mg Cephalexin twice daily. If you are able to order it, that is what she can have. I would recommend 21 days of treatment.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how do I get a prescription? Just go to my vet?

You may be able to call your vet. Or you could order it on PetRx.com or 1800petmed. You can put in a request for what I told you and they may approve it. Then it would be shipped to you directly. If she has ongoing skin issues they may approve it with no problem.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian