Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

American dog. 10 years old female. she is peeing while

Customer Question
American bull dog. 10...

American bull dog. 10 years old female. she is peeing while laying down like uncontroable and also drinks water by the gallons like its going out of style. she pees normal all the time but also will pee when laying down.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the bull. What is the bull's name?

Ox

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ox?

No she eats normal, runs like crazy, acts like a puppy, just the peeing issue while laying down.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

ok
NO I prefer to talk on line thank you

Urination while relaxed is unfortunately quite common in senior spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

As for the increased water intake, this may or may not be related to the incontinence. There are a wide variety of causes of increased water intake in dogs. Differentials for the symptoms include a urinary tract infection (even without overt signs of blood in urine), kidney disease, bladder stones/ crystals, liver issues, endocrine disease such as Cushing's, diabetes. Once diagnostics are done hopefully an answer as far as cause can be determined and appropriate therapy can be initiated but gathering more information is the key to getting treatment and hopefully your dog feeling better swiftly.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

I am signing off for the night in a few moments but wanted to check in before I go to see if you needed any further assistance today?

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian