Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

25 lb Standard Dachshund started throwing up 12-27-17 and…

Customer Question
25 lb Standard Dachshund...

25 lb Standard Dachshund started throwing up 12-27-17 and when he drank water he would throw it up. Vomit was clear with grass in it at first. Took him to our vet and he gave him a shot for the vomiting and some antibiotics with pills for vomiting. He seemed better the next day but now is listless and just lays around. We think he may have chewed up a wooden alphabet letter that had a magnet on it. Not sure what is going on but our vet is closed until 1-3-18. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Dachshund?

He was 2 years old in October. He pooped yesterday and seemed to be having problems. I picked up the poop and bagged it and froze it if needed.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

This is a serious sign indeed......I am curious as to why your vet did not do bloodwork and xrays in your dog with persistent vomiting. Vomiting of water like that suggests a possible obstruction in the GI tract. You cannot wait until your vet is open to have your dog seen. This could result in the death of your dog. You need to find an ER vet and go see them today. I ma sorry to have to give you that type of information but that is what you need to do. This is not a case that can be handled at home. Your dog's intestinal tract could possibly be undergoing necrosis right now. This is a medical emergency situation. I am standing by for questions...DRB

Can I answer any other questions for you?

Trying to reach a vet that can see him on a New Years holiday weekend. BTW we didn’t have a clue what the dog may have ingested. He likes to chew on wood like clothes pins. We have been keeping our eyes open to what he may of eaten or chewed on and think he may have gotten the wooden alphabet letter, but not sure. In hindsight, yes the vet should have done more diagnostics.

there should be an ER vet in your area. I can help you find one. Would you like assistance with that?

all vets are required to provide by law some type of ER service....

I understand you don't know what he might have eaten...that is usually the case.....but at least we can use xrays to help determine if there is an obstruction......I hope that makes sense....if you need additional help please let me know. Sincerely, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr B