Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog won't eat or drink and doesn't want to play. She has…

My dog won't eat...

My dog won't eat or drink and doesn't want to play. She has peed and pooped. Cocoa is 1-2 years old boxer mix and we have had her since Aug from the Humane Society.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cocoa?

She started acting funny after she finished eating an Everlasting Treat. She threw up in her kennel during the night and now won't eat, play, or drink.

12/31/2017
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

How long has this been going on for?

Just the one day?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just today.

Thanks

Sorry so very busy today- all clinics closed

Thanks for being patient

Has Cocoa vomited since this AM

Will she drink anything?
Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No vomit. She will not drink and will not eat her food (today only). I did give her a small dog biscuit and she ate that and has kept it down for the past hour. Plus she has been going to the bathroom all day outside. She pooped ( it was solid) this morning and has peed at least 4 times today. In the past two hours she has started to perk up and has been playing but still will not eat or drink.

Great update

She is young and she is passing stool so that rules out foreign body

Lets manage for acute gastritis

Please give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg by mouth three times a day

You can offer cooked hamburger and rice in small amounts

Water, pedialyte, no salt chicken broth to encourage drinking

Update me in four hours

Okay?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sounds good. Thank you.

Very welcome

I will look for your update

And you can rate me now- I will leave the link open so you can update me and not incur more charges :)

I will stay with you till this is sorted

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We gave her the Zantac and gave her a little rice and burger and no salt chicken broth. She ate it up. We waited 4 more hours and gave her more food and water with a little chicken broth in it. She is active and eating like a champ. Thank you so much for your help!

Good stuff!

Okay update me in the AM :)

And dont forget to rate me- That is how I get paid

Paul

ha ha- you just did

Thanks

Talk to you inAM

Happy New Year!

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian