Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She isn't eating normally, she has difficulty standing and…

Customer Question
She isn't eating normally...

She isn't eating normally, she has difficulty standing and she has started to be incontinent.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Daisy is 13.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Daisy?

Nope, she has always been a very active Lag cross and would until September would go on 5 to 10 kilometer walks 2x a day.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are concerned about Daisy. How long since these problems started?

Does her incontinence happen when she is relaxed or asleep? Do you mean urinary or fecal incontinence?

If you lift her lip, are her gums pink in color, or pale?

I am concerned anytime an older dog is not eating normally. It can be a sign of many things, like internal organ disease, infection, pain.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Eating and dificulty standing and walking long distances since August. The incontinence started sporadically 1 week ago.
This is urinary incontinence and while she is relaxed.Her gums are pinkish.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Daisy has big sighs but other that that her breathing is normal even when we go for an short walk.

The urinary incontinence could be a sign of a bladder infection/ UTI. It could also be low estrogen; many older spayed female dogs will have urine leakage when they are asleep or relaxed from this. Giving low doses of estrogen, or a medication called PPA/phenylpropanolamine, can be helpful.

If the other problems have been going on since August, I wold be checking for arthritis, pain, and doing blood tests to check for internal organ disease.

Is she taking any supplements or medication?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. She has never displayed any need for supplements. I was away for the summer months and she was a different dog when I arrived at home.

I would definitely have a urinalysis done, to check for UTI. If it is normal, talk to your veterinarian about estrogen, or PPA.

A thorough physical exam is where I would start to find out why she is not eating normally, and has difficulty standing.

Supplements I like for older dogs are fish oil (for Omega 3s), joint supplements like glucosamine and chondroitin, and possibly others, depending on what I learn from an exam and blood tests. Something is going on with her; an exam is the place to start to find out what it is.

How is Daisy doing? I hope you were able to see my responses.

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian