Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My fur baby recently had surgery for a wound and when I woke…

Customer Question
HI! My fur...

HI! My fur baby recently had surgery for a wound and when I woke up this morning to check him it seems as though the drain is falling out and the tip of the tube is much further out than yesterday... is it urgent to take him to the per hospital or can I watch it and clean the area.. I have a feeling it will fall completely out

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No, its just oozing.. I have been applying the warm compresses three times a day for 15 minutes as directed and he's doing well

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?

Reef, 5 year old Australian Shepard

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reef?

Otherwise completely happy and healthy as we ran blood panels before surgery to make sure

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question bout Phew. Can you post a picture of what it is looking like? How long ago was the drain placed? What medications is he on at this time? Did your vet say when they thought they may remove the drain?

Reef had surgery on Friday night at about 8pm after he was attacked by a dog in the neighborhood... he had a terrible bite wound able the right side of his right ear and when the dog shook him he did some damage. The vet said he should have drain taken out in about 3 days and I have a follow up on Tuesday... He is on 50 mg Tramadol, 2 tablets every 8 to 12 hours for pain, but I have been giving him one tablet every 12 hours and he is absolutely fine... then 1 tablet of cefpodoxime 200 mg once a day.... then 1 tablet twice a day of 75 mg Rimadyl..He is happy, calm and doing well, eating and drinking...I can try to take a pic :) will do that now... I haven't cleaned it up from overnight yet, so you will be able to see how much its oozing over the last 12 hours...I am applying warm compresses 3 times a day for 15 minutes as directed.. he doesn't love when I do it, but he's letting me

I was wondering if the reason for the drain was a dog attack. At my ER, that is probably the number one reason a drain is being utilized. Drains are typically in for about 3-5 days - depending on the location, amount of drainage and how it is doing. If it isn't wrapped with a bandage, they can accidentally scratch / catch them to possibly cause them to come out a little early. If the drain came out early in its entirety, it wouldn't be the worst thing. What would be the worst case scenario with that is that the wound may close over and still have an infection deeper and it cause an abscess. In that situation, it would have to be opened back up and drained again. The drain may be in a situation where if it comes out, it will still heal. That is the unknown.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian