Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Mydiig had very large mamanry tumors,when she drinks the…

Customer Question
Mydiig had very large...

Mydiig had very large mamanry tumors,when she drinks the water gets pinkish color,been on Prednisone and Ani botic for a week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?

My dog has tumer was the size of my hand now can't put my hand around it.drinking alot

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Lumbs are all threw mamannary chain

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Roxy is 9/12 2 weeks ago my vet said take her home and eat ice with her.thet not in until Tuesday
Should I restrick her food and water ? Stomach look bloated.gave her to gas x last nite she burped and past gas.
Iam boiling chicken for her now.
No vet to get to how can I put her down,don't want her suffering
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Roxy, please? Regretfully, you don't want to attempt a home euthanasia. I understand your wanting to help Roxy leave her life behind but you really don't want to try overdosing her. It's not as easy as you might imagine. Please consider a housecall vet who can come to you instead and that, in my mind, is the best approach of all. You can google the keywords ("veterinarian, housecall, (your area)") The following was written by Dr. Patty Khuly who goes into this process in depth:

"Twice in as many weeks I’ve been asked whether I would authorize the at-home euthanasia of a pet…with a household stash of controlled drugs.

Both individuals asking are in the human medical profession. That’s why I’m guessing their query emerged out of (1) an expectation that a house call option was not available; and (2) an understanding that these things can be done at home by someone who knows what they’re doing.

While wrong on number one (several vets in my area make themselves available for at-home euthanasias, including myself), they’d be right on number two — by referencing number one. Some things are best left to the healthcare providers who do it on a regular basis.

Though it is indeed possible to usher your pet from this world on an overdose of oral barbiturates or expired oxycodone prescribed for your last surgery, you won’t catch me recommending it — even to my good friends (in fact, one of those asking about this possibility was a human doc and a friend).

And it’s not just the legal angle here that makes me a naysayer when it comes to DIY home euthanasias — nor the money thing (in case you think me mercenary enough to protect my profession and its precious euthanasia income stream). What makes me nervous are the possibilities…

Imagine what would happen if things didn’t go just right.

Let’s say your cat refuses to take more than six of the pills and you’ve somehow calculated that twenty would be a sufficient dose. Let’s say he then has a hard time breathing and you can’t for the life of you get more into him now that he’s so stressed. That’s a nightmare scenario.

Or how about the dog who throws up her load of (how many?) pills while you’re sitting around waiting to say goodbye. What do you do then?

The possibility of something going horribly awry is too great — even if it’s a minor risk — to ever chance it. Not when other options are so readily available. I mean, we don’t live in backwoods Bolivia. This is the U.S., where anything can be had safely, painlessly and conveniently when it comes to pet euthanasia.

Not just that, but it’s like fast food at my place when it comes to euthanasia. "Have it your way" is my motto. I’ll do it at a park in the dark, on a train in the rain…

You get the picture. I’ll customize the entire experience to your taste, as I know other vets will. Want to sedate your pet before I arrive? Let me know, I’ll make it easy for you to do this. I’ll sit at the Starbucks sipping coffee while it takes effect. Want to be in your favorite park? I’ll meet you there.

There’s no need to take these matters into your own hands (as we hear humans do when faced with end of life issues no healthcare provider will sanction).

While I understand the desire to control a pet’s death personally, it’s fraught with too many pitfalls owners might never consider. Some things are, inevitably, best left to the professionals."

Thanks for your time,and the article I understand.Sorry my about message, I just re-read it. We took her to Elyria vet hospital ,she start having more blood out of her mouth.Still pretty much acting ok.Bolded her chicken shedded it.She ate pcs all the to hospital (about 1 he away).No suffering,she being creamated.Thanks

My condences for your loss of Roxy. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know. You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian