Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is vomitting Even if it drinks water, it is vomitting…

Customer Question
My dog is vomitting...

My dog is vomitting Even if it drinks water, it is vomitting Went to the vet today, had glucose injected into the body Its been 4 hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Looks like it ate something unusual not sure as he roams around free

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Aadhi and age is 10 months Its a male labrador

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Aadhi?

No He is just seeing the smell and leaving it seeing the smell, it was vomitting yellow mucus

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have you been seeing these signs?

Did his vet give anything besides glucose? What specifically?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

It's been 3 days he is vomitting. He gave few vaccinations to stop vomitting.
His gums are white, moist.How should I make him to eat or drink anything.He isn't eating anything or even drinking water

Oh dear,

If his gums are white that does make the situation much more serious. White gums are often a feature of internal bleeding (possible stomach ulcer, gut trauma from eating something sharp) or reduced GI circulation (gut blockage). Therefore, with that sign along you really need Aadhi back to his vet for an xray to look for the above. If there is something in his gut, it may need to be removed before it can perforate the gut. As well, we may need to get him onto gastroprotectants to help heal any ulcers.

Any delay and we do need to tackle that nausea. Now at best injectable anti-nausea medication only lasts a day. So, if it has been longer, we'd need him retreated or at the very least could try him with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Famotidine/Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Ranitidine/Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)]. Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though if he cannot keep it down due to nausea, that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Afterwards, we'd hope that his appetite would pick up and you can try tempting with an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). Or if we get the vomiting settled but he won't eat, then we could try offering or syringe feeding watered down canned food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise and watering them down will help get fluids in as well.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk in these situations, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, Aadhi's signs do raise real worry here given those white gums. So, we need to act fast if you are seeing that and have him reassessed for a blockage/gut damage. That way we can hopefully head off his deteriorating and help him through this with the above.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

How to make him feed something? I am really worried as he isn't eating anything or even drinking water

Hi again,

As I mentioned before we need to adequately treat the nausea. If we can do that, they usually will eat. And you can try those OTC options I mentioned or have his vet retreat +/- use an appetite stimulant and then syringe feed. Tht all said, if his gums are white then this is an urgent situation and the eating is not the major issue here. Its the possible bleed or gut damage that is and that is what you need to focus on first.

Dr. B.