Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My chi has started breathing quite rapid, he doesn't appear…

Customer Question
Hi my chi has...

Hi my chi has started breathing quite rapid, he doesn't appear to be in pain although he passed a very hard stool yesterday, he has eaten a very small amount since yesterday but is drinking water fine. I have fine the gum test and the colour returns straight away. He seems alert but lethargic although he is asking to go for walks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

His name is ***** ***** he is around 8 we rescued him from people we knew he were not looking after him properly about 3 yes ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baby?

He had kennel cough twice before we got him, but nothing else that I know of

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Baby, please?

Regretfully, his symptoms of tachypnea (increased respiratory rate) and inappetence are important but not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. Tachypnea can indicate both medical and behavioral problems. It's often seen with elevated ambient temperature, exercise, anxiety, or perceived pain. To confound the diagnosis further, it's also seen with fever, narcotic administration, glucocorticosteroid (prednisone, e.g.) therapy, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism, hypocalcemia, pheocromocytoma (an adrenal gland tumor), cardiac disease, tachyarrhythmias (fast irregular heart rates), brain disease and obesity.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian