Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

There was some kale in a dog chew and i think my pug is

Customer Question
There was some kale...

There was some kale in a dog chew and i think my pug is having a reaction what can i do yo help her

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the pug's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she willl be 3 in march

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Coco?

She will be 3 yrs. old in march

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?

She keeps rubbing her body on the carpet and have went shit twice

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now kale allergy is quite uncommon in dogs but if you are seeing Coco showing diffuse skin irritation then it is possible something in that chew (or a contact allergen in the house) is to blame. Therefore, to counter that you can try her with an antihistamine at this stage. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight every 8-12 hours) to reduce allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. You can also bathe her with an emollient shampoo (ie Episoothe, oatmeal based one) to soothe the skin quicker. And if she has had loose stools, then a light diet (ie white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder)) with added fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) can be fed to help with that.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** as this is the only way I am credited for my work here & allowing me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you.**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian