Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Yesterday my dog would not eat in the morning came home from…

Customer Question
yesterday my dog would not...
yesterday my dog would not eat in the morning came home from work and she had vomit yellow liquid I made he some chicken and rice which she did eat last night and this morning but this afternoon she turns her nose up at any food or even treats so I can hear her stomach making noise and sounds like a lot of air moving around in stomach I can hear it across the room what can I do for her
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
I just got her to drink a little water and she started coughing or sounds like chocking
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Will she drink and can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

she ate some today but has not had a bowel movement since yesterday morning, took her to the park and she ran around some ,
I gave her some pumpkin today

Hello again,

Now I am glad to see she has eaten some, but I would note that if you have had her on a light diet and she's not been eating much then she won't have much to pass as stool. So, if she isn't straining we really just need to monitor +/- continue the pumpkin. Though if she were straining, we could also treat with OTC

cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) to help get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). Again as GI lubricants, they can just get things moving with more regularity. Finally, just if her appetite isn't back to 100%, you could also treat her nausea with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), to see if we can get her settled.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

I was just thinking 3 days ago she had a nylabone healthy edibles , but she chews he food really good could that hurt her, thus morning she was throwing up greenish white foam

Hello again,

If she swallowed a big piece and it had an irritating edge or was a big enough to take a few days to digest in the stomach, then its quite possible that it could be our underlying culprit. So, I would suggest keeping a close eye and considering the antacid just now. But if this isn't settling down in the next day or so, then a check up to just make sure there is nothing else here that we need to address for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
the vet gave her 75 mg of cerenia , about a hour later she threw up a lot of white foam is that normal
white foam liquid

Hello again,

My apologies but as I am sure you can appreciate my own patients kept me quite busy over the week. With regards ***** ***** follow up, we can see this in some dogs before the Cerenia can fully kick in but if she had kept vomiting in the hours that followed we'd need to either use an alternative (provided they ruled out a blockage since that too could counter the effectiveness of Cerenia).

Kind regards,

DR. B.

he took a xray and said there was a lot of gas inside told me to give sucrafalacate is that pretty safe giving with the Pepcid , I thought I had some and I do but it expired in 2011

Hi again,

If they saw a lot of gas, that needs to be monitored. This is because some items will not show up on xray (they're non radio-opaque) and with those sometimes we only see the gas behind the blockage. So, you may want a follow up xray to make sure the gas is moving. Else you can use both together but its best to get an in date one if possible as expired drugs won't cause harm but may not work as well.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**