Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My boxer pitbull mix sounds like he is wheezing

Customer Question
My boxer pitbull mix...

My boxer pitbull mix sounds like he is wheezing significantly

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My boxer pitbull mix is wheezing significantly. It sounds like he is struggling to breathe

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is your dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is your dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious problems there. How is your dog behaving differently?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Havoc, 8 months

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Havoc, please?

Regretfully, his wheezing and dyspnea (breathing difficulty) can indicate simple and self-limiting respiratory infections such as the infectious tracheobronchitis complex but also life-threatening cardiopulmonary disorders.

Havoc"s breathing still sounds very labored and when breathes in there is a high pitch squeal. He cannot get comfortable. This all started acutely yesterday. I gave him some Benadryl but it did not help. It sounds like he is slowly suffocating.
When he slows his breathing down, he breathes better but it seems the harder he tries to breathe the harder it is.

Thank you for the update. It's best that you don't hesitate having a vet attend to Havoc. That high pitched sound is called a stridor and indicates obstruction in his upper respiratory tract. Time is of the essence in these dogs. Please continue our conversation if you wish but I'd rather you were on your way to a 24-hour veterinary facility nearest to you.