Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is not able to put weight on his right front foot.

Customer Question
My dog is not...

My dog is not able to put weight on his right front foot. This has happened three times in the past 2 1\2 years. The other two times were from jumping from the bed at full speed while playing with my other dog. There is never any swelling or heat and he will let me or his vet manipulate his wrist and apply pressure with no sign it hurts him. Today we went for a hike and came home and played and when he got up from a nap he was suddenly lame. He did have 10 stitches in his paw about six months before his first limping episode.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?

His name is*****: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dexter?

He is a very active 6 year old Blue Heeler mix.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Dexter, please?

Regretfully, assessing lameness from afar can't be done accurately. His previous history may indicate lasting injury becoming clinically apparent at this time or Dexter may have suffered a new injury. Front leg lameness can result from not only a problem with the leg itself but also disorders of the cervical (neck) spine. At this point you can have his vet examine Dexter's leg and neck or you can see how a course of analgesia affects him.

As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian