Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 11 1\2 yr old Samoyed who is experiencing some age…

Customer Question
I have a 11 1\2...
I have a 11 1\2 yr old Samoyed who is experiencing some age related pain. Its in his hind qtrs. Can I give him gabapentine as I have some at home?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Sure, this could be a useful stand-in measure to make Jack more comfortable until such times as you can get to your vet. This drug { Gabapentin } is fairly frequently prescribed for dogs and a suitable dose rate would be in the region of 2.5 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given every eight hours.

2. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how this drug { Gabapentin } is used in dogs: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Samoyed is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his pain relief ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott