Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Chihuahua is two years old and has been throwing up for…

Customer Question
Hi, my Chihuahua...

Hi, my Chihuahua is two years old and has been throwing up for two days. It has a yellow tent, it’s not from me and there’s no diarrhea. She’s very sick she hasn’t eaten today and she drink water today. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do it’s 9 PM and I’m scared to death.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name?

Lulu. She 7 pounds and a rescue dog. She’s very sick please help tell me what to do thanks

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lulu?

We rescued her and she has a tendency to eat everything on the ground. She lived on the streets and that’s what she does. Worried to death should we give her Pepto-Bismol what should we do?

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

I am sorry to learn Lulu is vomiting. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- How long since the last time she vomited?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When can I expect a response?

I am here now. I will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How often is she vomiting?

2- Is she lethargic?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s been vomiting for two days, she hasn’t eaten today she drink water, no diarrhea .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She vomited three or four times today the last one 30 minutes ago .
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She’s curled up in a blanket now she does not feel good I would say she’s lethargic.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure of her medical history, she was a rescue dog.

How much does she weigh?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would say she weighs 7 pounds and I think she’s two years old, not sure she’s a rescue dog.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much. She’s my whole life. I’m so scared. We live in a small town and there’s no veterinarians available at this time of night.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are pancreatitis, gastritis, dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes.

In this case, I would have her checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination. In the meantime, this is what you can do until she is seen by a veterinarian:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 3-4 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest so that when you do give her water or food she is able to keep it down and not vomit.

3- After 3-4 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, continue to give her water. Leave her without food for 8-12 hours then offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a question. I give her 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet?

Yes, that would be 2.5mg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, gave her the Pepic AC. Question: what if she continues to vomit during the night? Should I increase? What if she vomits her first serving of chicken and rice? Should I continue to try to feed her? I can’t thank you enough.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
DR PETER?See above question please.

Good morning, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you posted the last question. In response to your question, no, you don't increase the Pepcid AC if she vomits you fast her for several hours as we discussed before and then try again.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian