Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My older dog who’s 8 years old has fleas and I recently got…

Customer Question
My older dog who’s...

My older dog who’s 8 years old has fleas and I recently got a new puppy teacup Yorkie that is 10 weeks and 2 pounds. Just seen a flea near the bottom of his stomach. What should I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the Yorkie's name?

Klumbo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Klumbo?

He’s super small. Fits in my hand

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. One of the best, ***** ***** to use for fleas in a pup his size is Revolution. It is a prescription flea medication that you can get from your vet when you take him for his first check up. I like it because it is a monthly product and very safe for these little ones. In the meantime, I would recommend getting some Capstar from the pet store. Capstar is a daily flea medication that will kill any flea that jumps on him for 24 hours after administering. It is also very safe for small pups. You can also give him a bath in some Dawn dish soap, just make sure to thoroughly dry him afterwards. Dawn dish soap has been shown to get ride of any fleas that might be on him and help with the itch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What should I use on my adult chihuahua

On an adult chihuahua, I would recommend using an oral preventative like Nexgard or Bravecto being my top two favorites. As far as over the counter medications go, the Seresto collars tend to work pretty well at least for the first 5 months or so. The only problem I've seen with them has been in some dogs they can cause hair loss at the collar site, but they are generally safe and effective, although I haven't seen them work the full 8 months as advertised to be perfectly honest with you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you! And is my puppy safe? Or is this dangerous for him

If they are exposed to a lot of fleas, tiny puppies can develop anemia, however, getting them on good monthly preventative like Revolution can help to prevent this and it usually takes some weeks for this to happen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If he only has a few fleas like I’ve only seen one of them how long would it take to get rid of his fleas?

Great question. So if you see a single flea, that flea can go off and lay thousands of eggs in the environment. Which means over the course of 6 months to a year those flea eggs can hatch out. The way all flea preventatives work is that the flea has to bite the animal in order to die from the preventative. So as a general rule, we recommend keeping flea preventative on all animals in the house year round. There are things you can do to cut down on the flea eggs in the environment such as vacuuming, steam cleaning, and there are some sprays such as siphotrol spray that can cut down on the flea eggs in the environment.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian