Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My vet cant see my dog until after the holidays, and I

Customer Question
My vet cant see...

My vet cant see my dog until after the holidays, and I seriously cant afford a er visit .. but my dogs eye is extremely irritated he is scratching and it’s scabbing over, not much drainage coming from the eye itself, but it is sappy from the rawness and sores, he is also loosing hair aroun d the eye. Is there anything I can do in the mean time to help get him through the next few days????

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Oliver?

7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?

He is current on all his shots, good health, just had his dental 2 months ago. We have been traveling over the holidays, 3 hotels that allow pets, and he has been around other dogs, or in areas where other dogs have been, that I have no idea if they had anything. He has had pancreatic issues when he was very young, but never after that

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Joey, Board Certified replied 3 months ago
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for asking your question and trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 17 years of experience.

I'm so sorry to hear Oliver is experiencing this. First, we must make sure this is not an emergency. If the eye has clouded over (looks blue) or the cornea (clear part) seems to be bulging or has an obvious defect or there is any blood from the eye (not from irritation around the eye), then you need to have him seen right away on emergency.

Sounds like he may have an infection, which could be conjunctivitis or just an eyelid infection that can be related to allergies or there are other issues. Anyhow if he was my patient and you were unable to have him seen until next week I may recommend you try flushing the eye several times a day with saline eye wash as you can buy for people. You can apply a hydration gel such as Celluvisc or i-drop or Refresh every few hours (your cannot overdose on this). The lubricating gel can really help with comfort. For the skin lesions you may apply neosporin or other triple antibiotic gel, but I cannot advocate putting this into the eye itself as it is not designed for this. I do not think it will hurt the eye if accidentally got into the eye, but cannot recommend you instill it. It is safe for skin, though.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then please take a moment to submit a rating.

Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified