Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Just had dew claws.rem Removed and may be infection and vet…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Just had dew...
Second opinion] Just had dew claws.rem Removed and may be infection and vet closed what can we put on woundJA: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?Customer: DogJA: OK. Is the dog bleeding a lot?Customer: No little in the bandagesJA: What is the dog's name and age?Customer: Ellie 6 monthsJA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ellie?Customer: Don't think so she was spayed also
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

So sorry to hear your dog has this infection related to the dewclaw removal! I can definitely give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is continued discharge or it is not healing then please it's time to consider a veterinary er to evaluate the incision to ensure antibiotics are not warranted.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a sock on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry.

3.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

4.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

5.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly postoperative spay and dewclaw removal.

6.) If there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with or clarify today. I hope she is feeling better soon

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian