Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Hoping to get some help. So out dog has been diagnosed after…

Customer Question
Hello hoping to get some...
Hello hoping to get some help. So out dog has been diagnosed after an mri on his head with inflammation of his brain and is being medicated he was in the vet hospital for 2 days getting treatment. His left side of his face had paralysis it’s one of the symptoms we noticed to get him checked out. The left side of his eye and his mouth r droopy but today on his head abluve his eye looks sunken in. It’s alarming because it wasn’t like this yesterday. Hoping it’s just another symptom of his paralysis but wanted it would be nice to hear from a professional that it is. Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, I'm a licensed veterinarian and I'll be happy to help.

From your description, I suspect that the sunken area is the result of muscle atrophy. The neurological problem that is resulting in paralysis of the side of the face, is also affecting the nerves that control the muscles of the entire side of the head. These are fairly large muscles, used for chewing, So it's not surprising that there's the sunken appearance there.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. In your opinion is this something that will get worse will his ability to chew decrease?

Well, the sunken appearance might not worsen, if anti inflammatory medicines are being used. The biggest concern would be that the muscle can form fibrosis which can restrict jaw movement, if anti inflammatories (usually steroids) are not started soon after noticing the problem.

Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Dog Veterinarian