Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog Satchel is a 10 year old smooth coat collie born with…

Customer Question
My dog Satchel is...

My dog Satchel is a 10 year old smooth coat collie born with CEA. Last spring he had to have bilateral enucleation because of eye pressure and pain. The experience was traumatic for him (actually, for all of us) and he had a very hard time with anesthesia. (I volunteer in the canine post-op section of a spay/neuter clinic and have seen my share of dogs having trouble with anesthesia. Granted things are different when it's your own dog but Satchel had a VERY hard time). Cl

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Satchel?

Sorry, I hit send by accident.. Satchel had trouble with anesthesia and t became obvioua that he could swe something before the Sx because he had trouble navigati g as if he were newly sigbtless. He was stressed always and began making a raspy hoarse sound as if he were hyper-ventilating. Now he cannot bark. He has not barked in about 6 months. He tries. There is no sound. I cannot bear the thought of putting this dog through another invasive procedure if there is a chance that he doesn't need it. His arthritis in hips has gotten worse so he 'hyperventilates' more and more. He is on tramadol and gabapentin. The dosage of each was increased about 2 monthz before he stopped barking. Ideas?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, the most common cause of loss of voice in an older dog is neoplasia (infiltrative or a solid tumor) involving the larynx. My initial diagnostic would be light and reversible anesthesia and direct visualization of the oropharynx (back of the throat). In some cases, I'll need to scope the trachea (windpipe). Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian