Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

CARE OF SOMEONES SHI TZU ,HE SMELLS SO BAD IT'S HARD TO BE…

Customer Question
I'M TAKING CARE OF...

I'M TAKING CARE OF SOMEONES SHI TZU ,HE SMELLS SO BAD IT'S HARD TO BE IN THE SAME ROOM .I TOOK HIMTO THE GROOMER ,SHE SAID HIS EARS ARE FINE .HE IS BLIND AND HAS A LIMP FROM AN OLD INJURY.WHAT COULD MAKE HIM SMELL SO BAD?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

THE EXAM SHOWED NOTHING AND THE GROOMER CLEARED HIS PADS.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

HE IS 10 WE THINK,HIS NAME IS***** OWNER FELL AND IS IN THE HOSPITAL ,THE TWO PREVIOUS OWNERS HAVE PASSED AWAY.GYPSY IS VERY SWEET AND LOVING .

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about GYPSY?

OUR VET GAVE HIM A $300 check up .no heart worms ,the paw 's x ray showed an old injury.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gypsy. You appear to be describing a primary seborrhea which is a hereditary disorder of maturation and keratinization - keratin is a structural protein in the skin - or seborrhea secondary to most all chronic skin conditions (more common). With primary seborrhea, clinical symptoms initially appear during puppyhood and may be mild at first but worsen with age. Symptoms may become apparent or worsen as an adult if underlying concurrent diseases develop.

Clinical signs may include a dull, dry, lusterless hair coat, excessive scaling (dandruff), follicular casts, scaly and crusty seborrheic patches and plaques, and greasy, malodorous (often described as the odor of dirty gym socks or corn chips) skin. Most of the body is involved to some degree, with interdigital areas, perineum, face, axillae, ventral neck, abdomen, and skin folds usually most severely affected. Pruritis (itchiness) is mild to intense, and ceruminous otitis externa (oily external ear canal inflammation) is common. Secondary skin and ear infections with bacteria and yeast (Malassezia) are often present.

I don't know everything you or the primary caretaker has tried so I'll list a primer for treatment and prognosis for you to peruse.

1) Ensure good nutrition. A commercially balanced dog food that meets AAFCO requirements should be fed. You should find the AAFCO statement on the food label.

2) Any secondary bacterial and Malassezia skin and ear infection should be treated with appropriate topical and systemic therapies. Periodic treatments or long-term, low-dose maintenance therapy may be needed because these dogs are susceptible to recurring infection.

3) For symptomatic control of ceruminous otitis, long-term maintenance ear care is necessary. Ear treatments with a multimodal therapy or ear cleaner should be administered to both ears every 1-7 days to control cerumen (wax) accumulation. An otitis appears to have been ruled out by the groomer, however.

4) For symptomatic control of seborrhea, antiseborrheic shampoos and emollients may be used every 2-7 days until the skin condition is improved (~2-3 weeks), then, bathing frequency should be decreased to every 1-2 weeks or as needed for maintenance. Antiseborrheic shampoos contain some combination of sulfur, salicyclic acid, tar, benzoyl peroxide, or phytosphingosine and may be found over the counter or at the vet hospital.

5) Daily oral fatty acid supplementation may be helpful as an adjunct therapy (180 mg EPA/10lbs body weight). EPA is thought to be the most antiinflammatory of the essential omega-3 fatty acids. It's plentiful in fish oil supplements.

6) Vitamin A 8000-10,000 IU per 20 lbs body weight orally administered with a fatty meal every 24 hours. Improvement should be seen within 4-6 weeks.

7) For dogs with severe, greasy, malodorous, pruritic (itchy) seborrhea, treatment with systemic glucocorticoids (steroids) may be helpful. Acitretin (a retinoid) may be helpful in some dogs. Calcitriol (vitamin D) may be helpful in some cases.

The prognosis is variable, depending on the severity of the seborrhea. This is an incurable condition that requires lifelong therapy for control. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian