Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My small dog has black ear wax my grandson bought a small…

Customer Question
My small dog has...

My small dog has black ear wax my grandson bought a small kt

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Iitten could

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the kitten seem to hurt?

She is always scratching her ears could it be possible my older dog got ear mites from her the wax in his ears is black

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Brady I cant afford tp take him to a vet as I am an age pensioner

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the kitten?

She did give my dog fleas so I got flea treat ment for both she seem healthy now

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Generally ear mite debris is dry and brown. It affects both ears. You will see redness when you look in the ears. The dogs and cats will scratch their ears a lot.

You could check and see if both the dog and the kitten have the dry brown crusts in the ears.

A yeast infection can also cause brown debris. It is usually more moist and will have a "yeasty" odor. It can cause the ears to be red as well. A yeast infection would not be contagious between pets. If it looks like a yeast infection, you can order Zymox-HC Otic on amazon.com. That works well as far as over the counter ear medications.

If it is more brown dry crusts, and both pets have the same crusts, you can use Eradimite which is also sold on amazon.com.

Apply it to both pets ears every day for two weeks and then twice a week for two weeks.

Does that help? Do you have any other questions I can assist you with?

Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian