Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 19 lb chi-mix ate 8 chocolate, chocolate and raspberry…

Customer Question
My 19 lb chi-mix...

My 19 lb chi-mix ate 8 chocolate, white chocolate and raspberry truffles.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Stella age 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

Just that it occured likely about 4 hours ago. She seems fine, barking as normal at the mail man, but seems tired and a little restless.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Stella ingested 8 chocolate truffles with raspberry filling.

Chocolate can be toxic, but they do need to eat a certain amount per pound of body weight in order to get sick. Different types of chocolate contain differing amounts of the toxins responsible for making a dog sick. White chocolate has very little to none of the toxins, milk chocolate has some, dark has more, but semisweet and pure cocoa are the most dangerous.

A 19 pound pup would need to eat 2.5 ounces of milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and over 5 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.

At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

So depending upon how many were white chocolate, and if the filling made up a significant amount of the candy she may not have many symptoms of chocolate toxicity. But the large amount of fat and sugar may make her sick, and may be why she seems restless and tired.

Since it has been 4 hours since she ate the chocolate making her vomit will likely not be helpful at this stage, as after 2 hours it is likely the chocolate is out of her stomach and it is too late to induce vomiting.

At this point you cannot change things much at home, all you can do is watch her now and treat stomach upset if it occurs.

I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder .

In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.

It may help to with-hold food next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms which can lead to diarrhea.

If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle Motley's stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used days if needed.

Then after her 12 hour food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis . They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.

Best of luck with Stella, let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup Stella. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****