Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is 14 and is a border collie and possibly Lab mix…

Customer Question
My dog is 14...

My dog is 14 and is a border collie and possibly Lab mix though she is mostly white. she has 3 sec. periods of jaw vibrations and eye flutters. May have none in a day or sometimes three or four episodes in one day and cn go several weeks without any?? Sometimes I have noticed a yawn or several swallows right before this happens. Sometimes when standing up after sleeping. She also constantly want to rub her head on the floor, in the snow, on a bush, on us, on the floor. Some years ago she had a bad ear allergy and her eyes water some. She also has had two spells of spiking sugar levels in blood and urine. No cause apparent except possibly stress. They seem to adjust after a few days and are very infrequent.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Panda

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Panda?

A x-ray showed cervical vertebrae degenerative disc.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Panda. Do you feel that she's still eating and drinking well? Is she having any other weakness or issues?

No, she eats very well --is never satisfied. drinks normally

Thanks for that information. What I'd say would help your vet out in this situation is to try and video what you're seeing. You can use a smart phone to get a short segment to be able to show them. Is she having a focal seizure? Is she having some discomfort that is causing this? Dental issues can cause some similar things. I've seen some dogs get very excited / stimulated and have similar jaw motion. Do you think you can get a video of it to show your vet?

I have thought about that, but it only last about 3 sec. then gone and never can know when it is going to happen!

That is good that they are as infrequent as they are and as short as they are. If you have a smart phone on you at all times, it may be something you can catch on video. I would be curious that it is a reaction to something environmental. If everything else is going well, then I wouldn't be overly worried about this.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian