Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Eye is closed a little. is covering some of the eye from the…

Customer Question
Eye is closed a...

Eye is closed a little. white is covering some of the eye from the center of eye. Brown running out of eye. Corner of eye is red. Nose is warm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Rosie. 10 years old. She is a dingo from Georgia. Just noticed today. but eyes have been running for about a month

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rosie?

She got bit by a tick about a month ago.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/31/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Regretfully, most often eyes need to be examined hands-on as signs can represent any number of ocular disorders yet look alike. When the eye is closed more than usual blepherospasm (squinting) is likely and indicates pain. The "white" is Rosie's third eyelid protruding across the globe of the eye either in an attempt to protect the eye, because the third eyelid itself is diseased, or perhaps there's an interruption in the sympathetic nerve chain which innervates the third eyelid. The discharge and redness are important signs but not pathognomonic of any one particular disorder. Rosie's vet will want to thoroughly examine the entire eye including the eyelids/lashes with an ophthalmoscope, perform Schirmer tear testing to evaluate the volume of tears produced, stain the cornea with fluoroscein looking for corneal trauma/abrasions/ulcers, and assess intraocular pressure with a hand-held tonometer. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian