Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is leaning against furniture and walks in circles. He…

Customer Question
Hello. My dog is...

Hello. My dog is leaning against furniture and walks in circles. He is 10 years old. He did not want to go outside this morning.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wounds. Seems like he lost his sense of balance

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Tito

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tito?

Not anything for him to walk around like that

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tito. Aimless circling is pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of both vestibular (balance) disorders and disorders of the forebrain - cerebrum and thalamus. Tito's vet will need to perform a thorough physical and neurologic exam in an attempt to clarify which of the disorders is present. This can be a challenge to do without advanced testing in the form of cerebrospinal fluid tap and analysis and MRI of the brain. For example, vestibular disorders can be idiopathic (unknown cause), peripheral (involving the inner/middle ear(s)), or central (involving the brainstem or cerebellum). Disorders of the forebrain may be intracranial (arise from disorders inside the skull such as brain tumor at Tito's age) or extracranial (arise from disorders outside the skull such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys that are intoxicating his brain. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian