Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My English cocker had access on right jaw a week ago, had it…

Customer Question
My English cocker had...

My English cocker had access on right jaw a week ago, had it lanced. Everything healed up well swelling went away quick. Now I guess his Lympnode is swollen behind and under right jaw. Has lump under jaw and a finger lump on top behind jaw.Giving antibiotics . This started yesterday. He also ate a bite of cooked salmon Thursday night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the cocker will be able to digest that. What is the cocker's name and age?

Ryker. He is 3 yrs. Old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ryker?

He is eating . Doesn't seem to be hurting. We hunted birds yesterday. He seems fine.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/30/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago was the abscess treated? Are you in the process of that now?

Is the node on the other side of the jaw also enlarged?

Has he had any drooling?

Can you take a photo of this for me to assess? To post it, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box (last icon). Or if you cannot see that, then post it on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr Instagram, etc) & paste the link here for me.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Abscess was treated last Sunday. Left Lympnode normal.No drooling.

Hello again,

First, I would just note that the salmon is no worry at all for Ryker.

Otherwise, with regards ***** ***** swellings, if the abscess only has been ongoing that recently, then we very much have a reason for that lymph node to be enlarged. This is because nodes are the centre of the lymphoid immune response (the 2nd wave of immune reaction to infections). so, I'd not be overly worried if just one near the abscess is enlarged here. In this case, we'd just want to treat that abscess with the antibiotics but if we find that or the node isn't reducing over the next 1-2 weeks then we'd want him reassessed. We can see resistant infections that need culturing to ID what bacteria is there and determine what drugs will clear it. And if the node remained enlarged, you could have his vet sample the node via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells to assess them. I'd only expect a reactive lymph node and not cancer, but it would be worth checking for that to be safe if we were to find the node didn't reduce once they infection had had time to fully clear. But overall this is not an unexpected finding with a near by abscess and a sign the body is trying to fight off that infection.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. We'll wait to see and keep check. Thank you very much.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.

**************************************

Please take the time to rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Hello again,

How is everything with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His swelling almost went completely away but noticed small lump last night. This morning it was larger and tonight even bigger,you can see the lump.Local Vet said to just watch it, it may come and go but if persists may have to take out node. What is going on and what should I do?
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian